When it comes to choosing a product to treat your seborrhoeic dermatitis, how do you know what to look for?
So step 1. – Identify What Signs Of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis You Have.
The main area of the body that is affected is the scalp, although other areas such as the eye brow, nasal crease, chin, inside the ears and occasionally parts of the body itself are affected.
Anyone with seborrhoeic dermatitis will tell you that there are several things going on with their scalp. One or all of these things can be happening:
- overgrowth of yeast of the Malassezia spp.
- scaling and flaking
- temporary hair loss
Step 2 – Pick a Product With Ingredients To Treat Your Symptoms
So now that you have considered what is going on up there, it makes it easier to pick a product that will address each of those things. For most people, a shampoo is what is needed, however other people may prefer a cream.
For a shampoo to be effective it must not only contain lots of active ingredients to tackle the issues that we identified above, but it must also cleanse the hair, have a reasonable amount of lather plus not smell too disgusting!! Ideally it will also contain hair conditioning ingredients.
There are many different formulas that can be produced. We choose to use lots of essential oils and herbal extracts that can sooth the skin, remove the scale from the scalp and stimulate hair growth.
- To help destroy the fungal agent we rely upon essential oil of garlic, wasabi and ginger root – this also acts as a natural preservative for the product. We add some piroctone olamine, an agent found in many anti-dandruff shampoos, as it is specific for the treatment of Malassezia spp. In addition some Tea tree essential oil and Lemon Grass is added.
- To help reduce redness we add Burdock essential oil which is also known for its ability to help with scaly skin conditions. Neem is also used for its anti-inflammatory presence but also because it stimulates hair growth.
- Allantoin, naturally occurring in the Comfrey plant has soothing and anti-irritating properties. It has an anti keratolytic effect, so helps remove the upper layer of scales, whilst moisturizing the scalp and increasing the smoothness of the skin. It also helps heal wounds by stimulating normal tissue growth. Scale is further removed with the help of salicylic acid, allowing the essential oils to do their job.
- The circulation is stimulated by Burdock and Peppermint essential oils. As hair is often lost when the scalp has scale, stimulating the circulation is helpful. Neem is especially useful for stimulating hair growth.
- To condition the hair we also added a Hair Complex that contains bamboo, helichrysum, horse chestnut, yucca and green tea.
- To naturally clean the hair we use Decyle Glucoside, a gentle cleanserobtained from renewable resources with Ecocert approved cleansers.
With just one application the scalp can feel less irritable and itchy and some scale is gently removed. With regular use the unique combination of ingredients restores the healthy appearance of the scalp and reduces signs of scaling.
Healthy Skin Clinic produces topical products exclusively for its clients. Healthy Skin Clinic is an online skin consultation service and is an Australia wide service.
To find out about